Sunday, June 17, 2012

Volunteering at Caribbean Fashion Week!!

So sorry for the lack of posts once again everyone! I've been so busy with these last few weeks of school, and now I'm preparing for end of year exams, which of course, I'm dreading.. So I'm afraid you might not see much of me until about the 28th of June, but please don't forget about me :(

Anyway, I really had to tell you all that I got the chance to Volunteer at Caribbean Fashion Week, which lasted form June 7th to 11th. I know I'm a little late in telling you about the amazing news, but I still can't resist to make a post about it. One of my friends, who is an amazing photographer by the way, Luca Khouri, managed to find a way for me to volunteer from Friday to Sunday, during the fashion shows. For the three days I was set to work keeping inventory on the shoes provided for the girls by the hosts of CFW, Pulse - a modelling agency in Jamaica (the only one). However, I mainly ended up deciding what all of the models should wear with their outfits if the designers didn't have any specific requests.

I can't even explain to you all how hard that job was, I'm not even going to lie, it was probably the hardest of all the jobs, because there were only so many shoes for the models, most of which were size nine shoes, while there were quite a few with smaller or much larger feet. But we just had to find a way to make the shoe fit, unless the designer allowed them to walk barefoot. Besides that there were so many quick changes, and after every final walk we had to basically rip the shoes off of the models and get them back to the rack. Besides there were ridiculously quick changes, and a bunch of other things that people wanted us to do at the same time.

I don't even know how to explain it to you guys so that you can actually get how rushed and hectic everything was. But even though it was ridiculous and chaotic, I somehow fell in love with it from the first night. I don't even know how I did, because I'm usually the laziest person ever and I don't like being rushed or pressured, not at school, not by parents, not by anything. But somehow I just fell in love with everything about being backstage. I'm honestly so happy I did this, I don't even know whether to do it again next year or to watch. And I forgot to tell you, lucky me got to see Nell Robinson - who has a new swimwear line BANG! that is amazing - Jaunel McKenzie, Alexia Palmer and a bunch of other really amazing Caribbean models, I felt like I was at a patisserie!

Oh and one of the designers pulled me aside and asked me to exclusively pick out shoes for each and every one of her outfits, I was really happy when that happened because I just felt like she realised I had good styling ideas, and I actually helped her to choose what looked good with what, and she was so sweet and grateful at the end. I felt so amazing :) Volunteering at CFW has really concretized the idea of me working in the fashion world when I'm older - I think I'm willing to make that decision and persevere towards that goal. Wish me luck!!

Brooke

P.S. Because this post is so long, I'll post photos in another! Don't worry, I wouldn't do that to you all!

2 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to have volunteered at CFW! I'd love to intern at LFW one day :( but I think you need quite a bit of experience... I looked at your friend Luca Khouri's pictures and they are AMAZING! She's a seriously talented photographer and the models she shoot are stunning. I can't wait to see the pictures!

    www.ashleythefashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I was so happy when I heard I could volunteer! And yes, that's probably it, unfortunately in Jamaica they don't take fashion and CFW quite as seriously as I wish they would, and there aren't so many different designers and fashion shows as in other countries - hopefully someday though.. And aww thank you on his behalf, I'll tell him! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LIKE PRETTY FEEDBACK